Sunday, October 25, 2009


Like everyone else I've been very busy this year but one of the things I miss the most is the time to decorate for the holidays. Here we are a week before Halloween and the only thing I've managed to drag out of the basement is a fall wreath.

We have 2 pumpkins moldering in the garage and no one has had the inclination to move them on to the porch. It also looks like this year will be the second in a row where we haven't carved those moldering pumpkins. But since I've never been the carver in the family maybe I should stop feeling guilty for that one.

But mostly I think the reason I've failed to put out any Halloween decorations is that my children are now 12, 14 and 22. They no longer look forward to any holiday with the unadulterated joy of childhood. We are all warned that some day this will happen and in the craziness that is raising children we sometimes think this well be a welcome relief.

Well, it's not. Sure, I no longer have the pressure to find the right Halloween costume or run all over town looking for a Darth Vader mask. And I will be sitting home on All Hallows Eve waiting for all the goblins and ghouls to come to my home instead of making the rounds with my own. And reflecting on that makes me a little sad.

But as I sit here writing it occurs to me that we have a whole neighborhood full of little ones who will be coming to our house expecting my fake rats and ravens. So although I won't be decorating for my children this year I plan on pillaging the basement tomorrow morning for those illuminated bats and tombstones. After all, even though my kids won't be thrilled; someone elses' will.

I want to share another great site that I've found this week. Her blog is Karen at Winding Threads and she makes the most adorable bags that you can purchase at her store Kreated By Karen's. I urge you to visit her store and look through all her great bags. I'm sure you'll find something for yourself or a friend.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the nice comments about my sites. I really appreciate it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete