Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Time To Reflect


This past Friday marked the eighth anniversary of 9/11. If you are like many people you spent at least part of your day remembering the events of that day. It is also a time to reflect on the amazing heroism and sacrifices made on that day. But for me, this day has been a reminder to be thankful for everything I have.

Many years ago I had only one child. For reasons unknown to my doctor at the time I was unable to conceive and carry a second child. This came as a complete surprise to me as my first one was so easy from beginning to end. As with many things in life; at the time I thought it was completely unfair. I was young and healthy. Why couldn't I have another child?

I ended up being angry and bitter about the whole situation until one day I saw "Forrest Gump". The scene where Lt. Dan sits on the mast and rails at God to come and get him during the hurricane was like a scene out of my own life. Only I had been silently railing at God about how unfair he was being…to me. At that moment I decided that I was lucky to have one healthy child when so many had none.

That fall I joined my church choir and decided to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church. All through the winter and early Spring I took classes to be confirmed. As I sat through that Saturday night liturgy I felt a tremendous sense of peace and community. I don’t remember the sermon that was given but I do remember I cried.

Several weeks later I found out I was pregnant again and months later I had my second son. And even more remarkably I had another son 22 months later. Who knows what caused this wonderful event to happen in my life but it taught me to be grateful for what I have. It's funny how one brief moment can change your life forever just like it did for many of us on 9/11. Lessons learned from that moment should make it easier to go through the inevitable ups and downs in life.

As the leaves start to turn in my neck of the woods and the nights get cooler it’s time to reflect on all that 9/11 has taught us; as a country and as individuals. It’s time to be thankful for what we have and look forward to the future with hope.

On a lighter note, I found this wonderful site run by a woman name Yana. She lives in Greece and has a fun blog called Handmade by Decoupage Art. Not only does she have great pieces but she writes and posts pictures from her life and just about anything else that interests her. I encourage you to check out her blog and see what delightful creations she has.

Have a safe and happy week.

1 comment: